About Me

My photo
I don't have very many dreams or goals that most people have, some that are definitely unreachable, but worth striving for. Every now and then I write a story in my head or pen a poem down. The only way I know how to express myself through words is through my writing.

Friday, March 27, 2009

Ophelia

Forbidden love by father and the King
Warned to avoid my one true to thee,
Out of fear for he does not truly love
My maddened lover be midnight secrecy,
Clothing askew and a hellish expression upon his face
Forbidden to see my love,
Father claiming he is lovesick over me
"To be or not to be" (1)
My love shouts at me, "I say we have no mo marriages"(2)
He has gone,
Left me bewildered and broken
Sure knowledge that he has gone insane
Confusion and hurt once he said "a woman's love is brief" (3)

Gone mad with anger and hurt
Twice caused by the same man, by her love
Father had been killed by the man who she claimed to love
Riddles and rhymes, and songs of death and losing virginity
Blesses everyone and makes her silent exit
Climbs branches that tear away her gown,
They've been broken before and in sorrow she drowns

The Queen questions,
"Incapable of her own distress" (4)
Claimed she had gone insane,
Her brother, Laertes refuses to believe the truth;
Committed suicide

The Queen Gertrude sprinkles flowers over the grave,
Wishes that she could have been Hamlet's wife,
Her daughter-in-law
Laertes says no man has ever loved his sister as he
But her love,Prince Hamlet, challenges,
Loved Ophelia more than "forty thousand brothers" (5) could

** All the bracket numbers and the quotations are from the play "Hamlet" by Shakespeare.

No comments:

Post a Comment